5.10.2007

My Sweet Elliott


There's a new Elliott Smith album out entitled New Moon. It's a bunch of demos and tracks that didn't make his more stripped down albums. Most of it has surfaced as the Basement Tapes (or whatever they were called), but this is all mastered and probably worth the $___ it costs. In all honesty, I think Jon Brion did wonders to Smith's music (XO, Figure 8, and Basement... are personal favs), hence part of the reason these sound so stripped down. Regardless, Smith was a great songwriter, always heartbreaking to say the least, and unfortunately, almost always a downer. I remember the day he died, I came to school after a few tears were shed and told some people, only to have people say "Elliott Who?". That being said, I came across a live recording of Elliott singing George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord". If you're not familiar with Harrison's work, get familiar. He's released my most favorite post-beatles material, and that says a lot. Also, after my copyright run-in, I thought I'd play it safe and run a live track (although that new Interpol track is just dieing to be posted by me).

Elliott Smith - "My Sweet Lord (Live)"

*Link Removed to Save Bandwidth for New Site

oh, also, the Austin City Limits Festival released it's line-up. Might have to save up to go to that:

Austin City Limits Festival 2007 Lineup

Bob Dylan
Björk
The White Stripes
The Killers
Wilco
Arcade Fire
Muse
Queens of the Stone Age
Bloc Party
Arctic Monkeys
My Morning Jacket
Damien Rice
Devotchka
Spoon
The Decemberists
LCD Soundsystem
M.I.A.
Ben Kweller
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Andrew Bird
Midlake
Pete Yom
Peter Bjorn and John...

among others.